VS 2005 support

May 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Does 4.4 drop support for VS 2005? Installed on a few machines and no longer getting context menus.

Unfortunately BizTalk has our team stuck with VS2005 for quite a lot of code. Any way to re-enable it?

Mike

May 10, 2010 at 2:38 PM

StyleCop 4.4 is not being tested on VS2005. I would suggest running StyleCop through MSBuild integration in this environment.

Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 5:45 AM
To: Jason Allor
Subject: VS 2005 support [stylecop:212138]

Does 4.4 drop support for VS 2005? Installed on a few machines and no longer getting context menus.

Unfortunately BizTalk has our team stuck with VS2005 for quite a lot of code. Any way to re-enable it?

Mike

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (stylecop@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email stylecop@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Please refer to the following post: http://devjitsu.com/blog/2010/06/17/running-stylecop-in-vs-2005-or-vs-express/

Jul 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Is it possible to get the last version of stylecop that does support VS2005?

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Would be nice for me too.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Hi,

I also have a Visual Studio 2005 code base to maintain (even though we will be upgrading to 2010 soon) and would like to use the latest version of stylecop

P

Jul 14, 2010 at 2:25 PM

I also have witnessed this problem and I urge that VS2005 continue to be supported so that using the latest version of stylecop, it can still be run from within the solution window of Visual Studio 2005.

Jul 14, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Unfortunately, we are not able at this time to release a previous version of the tool, either in binary or source form. It is our hope that the MSBuild workaround described at the link above will be sufficient to get StyleCop running in VS2005 for a majority of users, given our inability to release a previous version. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2010 at 8:22 AM
jasonall wrote:

Unfortunately, we are not able at this time to release a previous version of the tool, either in binary or source form. It is our hope that the MSBuild workaround described at the link above will be sufficient to get StyleCop running in VS2005 for a majority of users, given our inability to release a previous version. Thanks.

In this case it would be helpful if previous StyleCop versions (e.g. 4.3.2.1) will be downloadable from the StyleCop-CodePlex project page again.

This will help also other developers providing builds for their custom-rules assemblies.

Jul 15, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I found these links 

So: the previous versions are still present, just not on the download menu.
Sep 2, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I appreciate that providing support for VS2005 is a low priority when we're now two releases of VS further on up the road but for many developers, such as myself, using VS2005 is not a choice but a necessity.

What seems a little odd about this decision is that the issue is not whether to implement support for VS2005 but to remove it. Why take away something that many developers would continue to benefit from ?

I develop and maintain, with several other developers, a number of applications that are written in VS2005, VS2008, and we've already started some VS2010 projects.  We have all three versions of VS installed. Removing VS2005 integration appears to be an unnecessary step and it's causing us a problem.

I know there's a workaround to provide StyleCop analysis functionality in VS2005 but it doesn't provide the full integration (StyleCop settings, etc) that we've had in previous versions of StyleCop. So now we have the problem that we can either keep using an older version of StyleCop with full integration in VS2005 and VS2008 but no VS2010 support, or we install a current version with limited VS2005 support and full integration with VS2008 and VS2010.

If StyleCop 4.4.0 onwards won't support VS2005 then is it at least possible to update the installer to do a side-by-side install with earlier versions of StyleCop that do support VS2005 ? Ideally, I'd like to stick with 4.3.x for VS2005 but use 4.4.x onwards with VS2008/VS2010.

Steve Short

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM
Hi steve
As it's open source from 4.4 you could always create a fork on codeplex and and the support you need and then push it back to get merged in. Remember there are no full-time Dev resources working on stylecop. Just some people in their evenings and weekends.

On 2 Sep 2010, at 21:28, "steveshort" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I appreciate that providing support for VS2005 is a low priority when we're now two releases of VS further on up the road but for many developers, such as myself, using VS2005 is not a choice but a necessity.

What seems a little odd about this decision is that the issue is not whether to implement support for VS2005 but to remove it. Why take away something that many developers would continue to benefit from ?

I develop and maintain, with several other developers, a number of applications that are written in VS2005, VS2008, and we've already started some VS2010 projects. We have all three versions of VS installed. Removing VS2005 integration appears to be an unnecessary step and it's causing us a problem.

I know there's a workaround to provide StyleCop analysis functionality in VS2005 but it doesn't provide the full integration (StyleCop settings, etc) that we've had in previous versions of StyleCop. So now we have the problem that we can either keep using an older version of StyleCop with full integration in VS2005 and VS2008 but no VS2010 support, or we install a current version with limited VS2005 support and full integration with VS2008 and VS2010.

If StyleCop 4.4.0 onwards won't support VS2005 then is it at least possible to update the installer to do a side-by-side install with earlier versions of StyleCop that do support VS2005 ? Ideally, I'd like to stick with 4.3.x for VS2005 but use 4.4.x onwards with VS2008/VS2010.

Steve Short

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Hi Andy,
    understood. It did cross my mind but I assumed that this was a conscious decision to remove VS2005 support. I'll take it offline as I have a question or two...

Thanks for the response.

Steve

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:28 AM

StyleCop 4.3 is already available for download on this site. Click on the Downloads tab, above.

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:34 AM
steveshort wrote:

What seems a little odd about this decision is that the issue is not whether to implement support for VS2005 but to remove it. Why take away something that many developers would continue to benefit from ?

I develop and maintain, with several other developers, a number of applications that are written in VS2005, VS2008, and we've already started some VS2010 projects.  We have all three versions of VS installed. Removing VS2005 integration appears to be an unnecessary step and it's causing us a problem.

Steve Short

Hi Steve. Each major version of VS has a different SDK, and subtle differences about how a package loads into that IDE. VS2005 was cut when VS2010 was released, in order to minimize the number of VS versions that need to be tested each time a new version of StyleCop is released. Going forward, we plan to support the latest two major versions of VS.

Now that StyleCop is open source, it's certainly possible to create a version which restores integration with VS2005. Due to the test considerations outlined above, we will not be able to take this support into the mainline build.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:24 AM

Jason, thanks for the response. I fully understand the need to limit support to recent versions of VS in the current version of StyleCop but it does make it difficult to create and maintain a development environment that includes older versions of VS, e.g. my dev environment includes VS2005/2008/2010, so I need to install 4.3 to support VS2005/2008 but 4.4 to support VS2008/2010.

However, if the StyleCop installer allowed side-by-side installs where support for a particular version of VS was added or dropped this wouldn't be a problem, e.g. if I could have both 4.3 and 4.4 installed then I'd get StyleCop support for all three versions of VS. Or, perhaps the installer could target a specific version of VS ?

Steve