Editing Settings.StyleCop

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I am editing Settings.StyleCop in the installation directory by dragging and dropping it onto the StyleCopSettingsEditor executable found in the same directory. My understanding is that all StyleCop settings will use this for a basis unless explicitly told not to.

The first time editing the rules, everything seems fine - I go in, check, uncheck, and save. Opening Settings.StyleCop with a text editor shows my rules have been saved correctly.

My problem occurs when editing the rules a second time. I drag and drop the file onto the executable same as the first time. I can view the settings and they are as I had set them. However, if I add or remove a rule, all my previous settings are lost. Opening Settings.StyleCop with a text editor shows the file only contains the rules I changed.

Is this behavior expected?

Developer
Sep 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM
Edited Sep 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Hi,

This is a known issue - http://stylecop.codeplex.com/workitem/6689 (you could vote for it if you want).
The workaround is not to use settings file in installation directory. If you create one at the root of your file system (e.g. D:\), it will work OK and will apply to all projects under this location (on drive D: in my example).

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Oleg Shuruev 

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I see. Thank you for pointing that out. I should learn to search the Issue Tracker as well.