Stylecop and C++

Nov 4, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I have been reading up on the Microsoft tool StyleCop which seems a very interesting tool. However, at the moment I am developing in C++ and from what I have been able to read this tool only works with C# code.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to include C++ support in StyleCop?

Does anyone know if there are any other similar tool that can be integrated into Visual Studio 2010?

Developer
Nov 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Pretty sure there's no current plans for this (nor VB support, etc.)  However, this is open source so if there are enough individuals who wish to take on such a challenge with a thoughtful, well-deisgned approach, perhaps it could happen someday.

Developer
Nov 4, 2010 at 7:38 PM

On Visual Studio 2010...  StyleCop already can integrate with it.  Not the express versions due to policy issues though (same as prior versions).

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:27 AM
karak wrote:

On Visual Studio 2010...  StyleCop already can integrate with it.  Not the express versions due to policy issues though (same as prior versions).

What is 'it' in this context?

Developer
Nov 5, 2010 at 7:51 PM
Edited Nov 5, 2010 at 7:52 PM
redlars wrote:

Does anyone know if there are any other similar tool that can be integrated into Visual Studio 2010?

StyleCop integrates with Visual Studio 2010.  I was just pointing that out, since one interpretation of the statement above might suggest that it didn't.  Sorry for not being clearer.

As far as non-StyleCop style enforcement/validation tools, particularly for C++, which support Visual Studio 2010...  I can't help much there (I've never looked for one) but I know there are at least some static analysis tools out there which might help meet some of the needs.