Summary of advantages to use StyleCop

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:34 AM

When someone is about to integrate StyleCop into development process and start enforcement of unified coding style, he needs to present StyleCop to his team. It would be very helpful to have something like "StyleCop manifest" with summary of all advantages of common style and using of StyleCop. Can we create such document?

Developer
Mar 22, 2011 at 7:33 AM

I think this is a great idea.  I think something like this would be a great addition to the Documentation (User Guide) section.

Some of my personal points are:  unified style makes it much easer to read, work with, understand and maintain coworker/collaborator code.  It is easier to find things as they are laid out in a predictable order.  Consistent adherance to the automatic formatting VS applies (which StyleCop encourages) generates less back-and-forth "noise" from multiple developers having, say, different tab sizes or inserting tabs sometimes and spaces other times.  There are dozens of more specific minutae but the biggest thing is that using a tool for style compliance is a great way to help everyone work with everyone else's code.

Not everyone will agree with all the rules and your team could either spend countless hours bickering over rulesets, or have everyone compromise and adopt a standardized ruleset adopted by MS and the community alike.

Coordinator
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Edited Mar 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM

I've uploaded a first go at http://stylecop.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=WhyUseStyleCop&referringTitle=Documentation. Please provide any updates/additions/corrections and hopefully we'll get something everyone can use.