What/Where are the default style guidelines that StyleCop enforces?

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Can anyone direct me to the list of guidelines that StyleCop enforces by default?

I've come across the AvSol Coding Guidelines for CSharp 3.0 and 4.0 pdf, but it explicitly states that it _isn't_ a coding standard.

"Is this a coding standard?
The document does not state that projects must comply with these guidelines, neither does it say which guidelines are more important than others."(pg. 4)

If it is, can some one state that?

If it isn't, then where would I get my hands on a copy (preferably downloadable/printable) of the default rules that StyleCop enforces?

Thanks,

rick.

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM

From the source code there is a file called: "\Project\Docs\StyleCop User Guide.docx" which is not completely up to date but pretty close. That may help.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Andy,

Thanks for the information.  I found it a little disconcerting that a project all about enforcing coding styles, that includes a default style that it checks against didn't have a more prominent and up to date record of the style that it enforces.....

rick.

Coordinator
Jun 3, 2011 at 2:28 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Hi Rick
It's a community project done in spare time. You're quite welcome to
update the doc and re-submit it.

A.

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Andy,

Thanks for the invite. 

If I ever get qualified... I'm still trying to acquire/regularly use a 'proper'  coding standard for C#, I just might take you up on it.