Support for R# 8.2

Mar 21 at 2:01 PM
Could support for R# 8.2 be added please?
Mar 21 at 2:41 PM
lol

ReSharper release day and here we are.
Mar 21 at 2:44 PM
I know... I feel sheepish even asking. I'm afraid I baulked at the prospect of trying to make my own build after taking a quick look at the source code.
Mar 25 at 10:19 PM
RonHowe wrote:
lol

ReSharper release day and here we are.
Well, of course. Both tools are damn close to being indispensable by themselves, and together they are simply awesome. I am always sad during those times when they are not working in harmony.
Mar 25 at 11:17 PM
secorbett13 wrote:
Well, of course. Both tools are damn close to being indispensable by themselves, and together they are simply awesome. I am always sad during those times when they are not working in harmony.
I'm still waiting for stylecop support in order to install Resharper 8.2 ...

Just can't code without one of them...
Mar 25 at 11:19 PM
yeah. I uninstalled 8.2 and put 8.1 back on because StyleCop didn't work.
Mar 25 at 11:49 PM
I've made unofficial builds of StyleCop to support new versions of Visual Studio and ReSharper before, but haven't had much luck from the powers-that-be to make acceptance of such contributions smoother. I'd be happy to continue making those changes (and making them quickly!), but not when I have no idea whether my change will be accepted, sit out there in limbo for months, or is already being made by someone else. For a while, I was even considering permanently forking StyleCop so I would have the power to make updates quickly, but I don't think that'd be a good solution.

Andy (andyr), I haven't gotten much in the way of responses from my messages to you. Any thoughts on making me a contributor, or having some other way to allow me to quickly contribute support for things like this in official builds of StyleCop?
Mar 26 at 9:42 AM
csdahlberg wrote:
I've made unofficial builds of StyleCop to support new versions of Visual Studio and ReSharper before, but haven't had much luck from the powers-that-be to make acceptance of such contributions smoother. I'd be happy to continue making those changes (and making them quickly!), but not when I have no idea whether my change will be accepted, sit out there in limbo for months, or is already being made by someone else. For a while, I was even considering permanently forking StyleCop so I would have the power to make updates quickly, but I don't think that'd be a good solution.

Andy (andyr), I haven't gotten much in the way of responses from my messages to you. Any thoughts on making me a contributor, or having some other way to allow me to quickly contribute support for things like this in official builds of StyleCop?
That's great, I'd be interested in an unofficial build that supports 8.2!
Mar 26 at 11:13 AM
I had forgotten that StyleCop breaks when ReSharper updates ... I don't know how long I can stand StyleCop not working, I may have to downgrade to ReSharper 8.1 again if StyleCop isn't updated!?
Mar 26 at 2:38 PM
I'm giving it another day or 2 before I downgrade, as it does not prevent me from working, however, I use stylecop to ensure consistent development, and I'm sure my code is starting to have stylecop violations I'm not aware of, so I'll have to now do a once over once there is an update.
Mar 26 at 6:29 PM
Don't forget that you can still run StyleCop manually from the context menus.
Mar 26 at 8:57 PM
StevenLiekens wrote:
How were you able to install StyleCop with Resharper 8.2 installed? I attempted installing StyleCop and waited an hour during installation before I gave up waiting. VS2010/VS2012
Mar 27 at 2:52 PM
I never uninstalled StyleCop.

My original configuration:
  • VS2013
  • ReSharper 8.1
  • StyleCop latest
Now:
  • VS2013
  • ReSharper 8.2
  • StyleCop latest
So I guess the difference is in ReSharper 8.2 not properly interfacing with older versions of Visual Studio
Mar 28 at 3:35 PM
Edited Mar 28 at 3:36 PM
StyleCop 4.7 references the dlls of ReSharper 8.1. It's not a ReSharper interface issue. We just need a new build with the 8.2 dlls of ReSharper
Mar 28 at 3:57 PM
Looks like there is some info on this here:

https://twitter.com/stylecopdev/status/448202371798433792

Gary
Mar 30 at 2:50 PM
Edited Mar 30 at 2:50 PM
Someone sent in a pull request that restores compatibility. You can download that version of the source code, run the build scripts and plug the resulting DLL into your ReSharper's plugins folder.

https://stylecop.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/stevejost/Resharper82/contribution/6482
Mar 30 at 7:18 PM
Fingers crossed this will get pulled in and released soon.
Mar 31 at 4:32 AM
StevenLiekens wrote:
Someone sent in a pull request that restores compatibility. You can download that version of the source code, run the build scripts and plug the resulting DLL into your ReSharper's plugins folder.

https://stylecop.codeplex.com/SourceControl/network/forks/stevejost/Resharper82/contribution/6482
This worked perfectly for me. I compiled it using VS 2013. Thanks for the help.
Mar 31 at 6:03 AM
Here's a copy of StyleCop.ReSharper800.dll I compiled from the pull request mentioned above:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dav2t18js7y6gpa/StyleCop.ReSharper800.dll

Drop this into C:\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\ReSharper\v8.2\Bin\Plugins\StyleCop 4.7 and you're good to go.
Coordinator
Mar 31 at 10:06 AM
StyleCop-4.7.49.0.msi released today adds support for ReSharper 8.2
Mar 31 at 10:39 AM
thank you very much !!!
Mar 31 at 3:00 PM
andyr wrote:
StyleCop-4.7.49.0.msi released today adds support for ReSharper 8.2
Thanks, Andy.

But it seems the file is not digitally signed anymore.
Coordinator
Mar 31 at 3:01 PM
Yep.
Couldn't get it to sign this morning but thought it better not to wait. :-)

Next one will be signed.

~Andy.

Apr 1 at 3:32 PM
andyr wrote:
Yep. Couldn't get it to sign this morning but thought it better not to wait. :-) Next one will be signed. ~Andy.
Just got it. Signed and sealed... :)
Apr 1 at 5:53 PM
FWIW, there's some upgrade issues with this package.

I tried to install the latest, StyleCop 4.7.49.0 with ReSharper 8.2.0.2160 and didn't see StyleCop functionality with ReSharper squiggles. This is on VS2012.

Originally, I installed 4.7.49.0 on top of my R# 8.1 w/ 4.7.48.0 in place.

Next, I left 4.7.49.0 in place and rolled back to ReSharper 8.1 and had the same problem.

To get things happy again, I had to uninstall StyleCop 4.7.49.0 and ReSharper 8.2.

Reinstalled ReSharper 8.2 and then installed StyleCopy 4.7.49.0 again and everything worked as expected.
Coordinator
Apr 1 at 6:45 PM
Yep. That's correct.

And all as expected.

If ReSharper has a new version you must:

Uninstall StyleCop
Uninstall ReSharper

Install new ReSharper
Install new StyleCop

Without doing this StyleCop will be installed in the wrong place for the new ReSharper.

~Andy.

Apr 2 at 6:41 AM
Huntk20 wrote:
StevenLiekens wrote:
How were you able to install StyleCop with Resharper 8.2 installed? I attempted installing StyleCop and waited an hour during installation before I gave up waiting. VS2010/VS2012
I just experienced something similar. Turns out that after closing Visual Studio, the devenv.exe process was still running in the background. Force killing it allowed the StyleCop installer to proceed.