Early build for R# 9 Available

Developer
Dec 26, 2014 at 12:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I have uploaded the first version of StyleCop with ReSharper 9.0 Support

First, you have to install StyleCop 4.7.49 from CodePlex
Then Launch Visual Studio and in ReSharper Extension Manager find ReSharper.StyleCop package

Currently it is in version 4.7.50-alpha2.

I have tested it on some of my project without any troubles.
Only known issue for now is, that CodeCleanup Options, which were rendered as DropDown are now textbox, so you must know exact value for that option. But if you don't need to change this, you should be fine.

kubiix
Dec 29, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Edited Dec 29, 2014 at 2:22 PM
You need to go to the Resharper, Options, Extension Manager, and check the Include prerelease packages check box to see it in your list.
Dec 29, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Kubiix and everyone who is working on this, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for picking up StyleCop and porting this to ReSharper 9!!! It is very much appreciated!
Dec 29, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Kubiix and Jetbrains guys, Thank you! You made my Christmas!
Dec 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Thanks kubiix and the rest of the devs for your hard work! And thanks to jjmartin for the tip on seeing the extension :-). One more tip... restart Visual Studio... I didn't see any issues until I restarted, then they started to appear.
Dec 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM
To that end, where do you want bug reports for the alpha or future releases? Currently bad things seem to happen when i press the button in the Resharper/StyleCop settings that says to sync my settings with stylecop.
Developer
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM
Full credit goes to @kubiix for doing all the hard work on this - well done!

+1 on the issue tracker/source repo request. One thing I'd like to see (if it's possible) is to change the way StyleCop syncs your settings, so that it ships with a .dotSettings file that is simply loaded, rather than having to reset all of the existing settings. This gives a bit more flexibility - for one thing, it can be enabled/disabled in the "manage options" dialog, which is rather useful.
Jan 3, 2015 at 2:34 AM
Has anyone got an answer from andyr about his future involvement? This is going to get confusing fast (I think it already has) regarding where the current code lives and where the issue list resides. GitHub is the future more than Codeplex. I don't care where it goes, but it should be clear for everyone.

Cheers,

Rory
Jan 3, 2015 at 6:00 AM
rprimrose: Last statement I am aware is at https://twitter.com/stylecopdev/status/448202371798433792
Jan 3, 2015 at 6:52 AM
FYI, request to open the project to other contributors/co-owners

https://twitter.com/roryprimrose/status/551284321504342016
Jan 3, 2015 at 8:10 PM
rprimrose: If I remember correctly, several requests were already made. Up to now, nothing changed.
Coordinator
Jan 3, 2015 at 8:35 PM
I sent Andy about half a dozen messages expressing interest in coordinating and/or contributing to StyleCop, and didn't get a response to any of them. I then started a discussion topic asking him if he was getting my messages, to which he replied "I'm am yes. Sorry, I'm out travelling with work at present.", then promptly deleted the entire topic. That was on 2013-11-28, and is the only response I have ever gotten from him regarding new coordinators/contributors.

Without having someone able to update the official StyleCop page, it seemed like it would be more trouble than it was worth to try to keep updating it. I've briefly looked into making a Roslyn-based replacement, which I might still try to do eventually...but don't hold your breath, since that would be a lot of work.
Jan 5, 2015 at 5:20 PM
jjmartin: What you mean by the "bad things"?
Jan 6, 2015 at 10:18 PM
The whole options screen gets blanked and none of the remaining buttons work other than the windows Close button.
Developer
Jan 7, 2015 at 8:56 AM
I have published new verison -beta3, it contains mainly adapting code to new ReSharper, fixes some bugs and includes new Layout Pattern,

If no problems will be found, I will publish the next version as stable with

mattellis: thank you very much for your help with porting the plugin
about the .dotSettings file approach, I will try to implement it in next version, maybe I will need some advice later

jjmartin: try it with this version, if it still happens, send me please your ReShraper settings to kubiix[at]live[dot]com
Jan 7, 2015 at 10:03 AM
I had a bit of trouble finding pre-release extensions in R#. Here's what I did to install.

Prerequisites:
  • Install latest version of StyleCop
  • Install R# 9
Install StyleCop extension:
  • Go to R# options
  • Select "Extension Manager"
  • Check the box to "Include prerelease packages"
  • Save
  • Go to R# Extension Manager
  • Search for StyleCop
  • It should now show up in the list
  • Toggle the "Install" button
  • Exit the dialog with "Install"
Jan 8, 2015 at 1:56 PM
Just installed beta 3 and noticed a small issue. Even thought I have the "Specify the company name and copyright text.." option turned off within my Settings.StyleCop file, when I execute the R# Cleanup Code option, the header is added. This didn't use to be the case with R# 8.2.1 and StyleCop 4.7.49.
Jan 8, 2015 at 2:23 PM
Another issue that I believe was present for some time related to code cleanup, is if you perform a "Cleanup Code" operation on a folder (rather than a file), documentation headers get added to each class/method/etc. even though the settings file is set to not require any documentation. The workaround is to perform the cleanup file by file - but it would be nice to able to cleanup by folder.
Jan 9, 2015 at 2:52 PM
+1 for issues reported by adenysenko

Beta 2 was better than 3, at least in my view.
Jan 10, 2015 at 6:34 PM
Jan 13, 2015 at 8:55 AM
+1 for everyone working on this.
Jan 15, 2015 at 8:29 AM
Hi

I seem to be missing something here.

I've installed the Nuget package for 4.7.50 beta3 but when I run stylecop it's using 4.7.49. I changed the location in the Resharper options to point to where Nuget installed the extension (also had to rename files to get the stylecop location to see them) but still seems to be using 4.7.49
Jan 23, 2015 at 6:03 PM
I liked beta 3, its been an improvement.

i put in a couple of issues on your github https://github.com/kubiix/StyleCop

there seems to be a fix for one of them but i don't think its been published...

https://github.com/kubiix/StyleCop/commit/a65300fa747982756913d64ec3832189811faabf
I'm still having the issue where it not using the .Stylecop file in the root of my solution
Jan 28, 2015 at 4:24 PM
Hi,

Thanks to the guys who are upgrading StyleCop to work with R# 9.0. Your work is greatly appreciated.

When we were using R# 8.3 and StyleCop 4.7.49, we were set up to treat StyleCop violations as build errors. These then prevented a standard build from completing successfully. This process automatically kicked in every time the solution was built. However, this does not seem to be working with R#9.0 and StyleCop 4.7.50 (beta).

Now we only get the errors listed if we actually run StyleCop manually using the "Run StyleCop" option (right mouse click on the solution is Visual Studio). They don't seem to come up automatically, just because the solution is built. Is this a known issue?

If it is a known issue, does anyone know how we fix it?

If it is not a known issue, where should I report it?

Thanks.
Feb 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM
I'm having the same issue as @adenysenko where a header is always being applied at the top of every file, eventhough the documentation part in StyleCop settings is entirely disabled. I did notice that within ReSharper Options under "Code Editing" > "C#" > "Code Style" > "StyleCop" (last option in the grid), there isn't an option in the dropdown to remove existing headers - which I swear used to be an option in 8.2. It only adds if it's missing, replace the copyright, or replace the entire header.

Other than that, I've had completely no issues. It's great to have this functionality once again with ReSharper 9, so in that part - I very much appreciate what has been done.
Feb 20, 2015 at 8:02 AM
Hi,

Thanks for your work for the R# 9.0 StyleCop Plugin.
The Plugin works well but i have one question about it.

We using a Settings.StyleCop File in our Project.
With StyleCop it works well but in ReSharper this file is ignored.
The ReSharper StyleCop Plugin use only the C:\Program Files (x86)\StyleCop 4.7\Settings.StyleCop file.

How can i Setup the plugin that it will use local Project Settings file?
Feb 26, 2015 at 1:43 PM
Hi,
First of all, thanks for the great work kubiix! I have a question about the new File Layout editor in R#9. How do you upgrade what used to be the Type member Layout to the new File Layout? If I'm not mistaken, StyleCop used to ship with a custom layout and I was able to copy it from a colleague's machine. Simply pasting it into the XAML section of the new File Layout editor doesn't work, the schema seems to have changed. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Feb 26, 2015 at 4:26 PM
atselevich wrote:
How do you upgrade what used to be the Type member Layout to the new File Layout?
Yes, you need a new layout, since the format has changed. Take a look at this discussion for an updated layout.
Mar 9, 2015 at 2:33 PM
Have there been any updates to the plugin for 9.0? As far as I can tell there are some outstanding bugs (notably the insert of an empty file header regardless of the settings as mentioned by @adenysenko and others). We're using R# in our org and I would really like to have a "stable" release to recommend to everyone. I'd be happy to help with the bugs, but I don't see the availability of the code anywhere.
Mar 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM
We also use R# and stylecop heavily and rely on it to help our development team provide consistent code style. We want to upgrade to R# 9, but this is currently holding us back. I'm happy to help on fixing issues, but as @CodingGorilla says where is the code to do this? Have you considered moving the StyleCop source to GitHub so that more people can more easily contribute?
Mar 23, 2015 at 4:16 PM
Any news on R# 9 integration? StyleCop has always struggled to play catchup with R# releases, and with rumours of it now being abandoned, and no sign of activity in the couple of GitHub repos I've found, I'm getting quite concerned. Like many on here I'm still running R# 8.2 so I can keep the StyleCop integration.

Worst-case scenario, what are the implications of installing R# 9 with the current version of StyleCop? Presumably I can still run StyleCop manually (by right-clicking on the solution), but lose the editor integration - i.e. no more squiggles to highlight StyleCop violations?

I wonder if JetBrains or Microsoft would consider taking over StyleCop?
Mar 24, 2015 at 8:09 AM
First, my thanks for getting the beta 3 available. it works very well for me!

Where is the code currently hosted? I'd like to add an issue and if I find time, I'd like to fix it.
On https://github.com/kubiix/StyleCop I see only the original commits from andyr?!?!

Thanks a lot.
Mar 24, 2015 at 2:26 PM
Edited Mar 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM
Hello
Thank you for your work, it is almost working like it should. However I'm still missing sorting of methods and properties.

Kind regards
Marcin

p.s.
Ach... It is now done by R# layout.
Apr 14, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Thanks everyone for getting StyleCop working with ReSharper v9, but now that v9.1 is out, what can we do to get the StyleCop plugin upgraded again? Kubiix can we get your code published somewhere so someone else can recompile it for v9.1?

Thanks.
Apr 20, 2015 at 7:57 PM
I started to look at moving this to 9.1, but there is a lot of errors and work to do it. I will continue to try, but it would be so much easier if I could just use what Kubiix has done.
Apr 21, 2015 at 7:43 AM
+1 for R#9.1 integration
Apr 22, 2015 at 1:26 PM
+1 for R#9.1 as well! Would love to contribute too!
Developer
Apr 24, 2015 at 1:42 PM
Version for R#9.1 is out, it is available in extension manager, still as prerelease
Apr 24, 2015 at 11:05 PM
Hi Guys

How does this work, because I uninstalled 4.7.49 and installed the extension via the resharper ext manager. I see no "run style cop" in the context menu and I get repeated error messages stating that it "Failed to find the stylecop assembly, please check your stylecop installation.

Are there any setup guidelines?

In options I see the usual stylecop settings box where I had hoped to find the stylecop.dll but was unable to locate it.

Any suggestions welcome
Apr 24, 2015 at 11:41 PM
kubiix wrote:
Version for R#9.1 is out, it is available in extension manager, still as prerelease
Thank you so much!

Duncan_Faulkner wrote:
Hi Guys

How does this work, because I uninstalled 4.7.49 and installed the extension via the resharper ext manager. I see no "run style cop" in the context menu and I get repeated error messages stating that it "Failed to find the stylecop assembly, please check your stylecop installation.

Are there any setup guidelines?

In options I see the usual stylecop settings box where I had hoped to find the stylecop.dll but was unable to locate it.

Any suggestions welcome
Like it says at the very top of this thread. You have to have StyleCop installed. Since you uninstalled it, it won't work properly.
Apr 30, 2015 at 9:33 AM
Thanks kubiix!

I didn't find your changes in your repository at https://github.com/kubiix/StyleCop

Did you document them elsewhere?

Best regards!
May 27, 2015 at 8:01 AM
Hi All,

Has anyone tried this plugin installed in studio 2015, does it currently work?

Regards
Jun 1, 2015 at 7:34 PM
Thanks. Its works fine until I upgrade to ReSharper 9.1.1
Jun 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM
I have had the same problem with 9.1.1, I just reinstalled the plugin and it's working just fine again.
Aug 20, 2015 at 8:07 AM
With the new ReSharper release (9.2), the plugin does not work anymore :(
Developer
Aug 31, 2015 at 10:52 AM
Hi all. I'm currently working on a ReSharper 9.2 release, over on GitHub - https://github.com/StyleCop/StyleCop. Should have something out in the next couple of days.
Developer
Sep 4, 2015 at 12:37 AM
If anyone is interested, I've implemented an initial version of R# 9.2 plugin, and managed to load it into R#.

The source code is available in this fork.
Some instructions and notes are in this discussion.