Compatibility with Visual Studio 2008 or Windows XP

Coordinator
Jan 27 at 1:39 AM
It would be nice to be able to upgrade StyleCop projects from .NET 3.5 to take advantage of newer functionality, and I think now would be a good time to do that.

If all projects are upgraded to .NET 4.0, that would break compatibility with Visual Studio 2008.
If all projects are upgraded to .NET 4.5 or newer, that would also break compatibility with Windows XP.

Does anyone still need compatibility with either of those?
Jan 27 at 4:32 PM
Can you not just branch to a new version that supports only .NET 4.5? This way users of XP and VS 2008 can still use a version of the code base (if needed) and the rest, can get the latest and greatest?
Coordinator
Jan 29 at 2:52 AM
That's certainly one option, but it seemed likely to be more work than it's worth.

People who are using StyleCop with VS2008 or WinXP can continue to use v4.7.49 (or whatever the last .NET 3.5 version ends up being) as long as they want. A branch could also be created from the last .NET 3.5 commit in the future, should the need arise.

If the codebase is split into .NET 3.5 and .NET 4.0+, then future work would either need to be duplicated in both branches or just not made to the .NET 3.5 branch. Duplicating work is something that I would like to avoid, and just not making the changes to the .NET 3.5 branch would be the same as not even having a .NET 3.5 branch.

My preference would be to go ahead with the upgrade, and make it known that pull requests for back-porting changes to .NET 3.5 would be readily accepted.