Japanese StyleCop

Jun 25, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I've been able to creating a Japanese version of StyleCop.

I've currently translated the messages, but found that it is not enough because we use multibyte characters.

For example, we sometimes use double type period and space characters instead of single byte. The rules for the period should extend to include double byte, and a new rule should be added to prohibit use of double byte period in spacing. There's also some rules, such as verifying spacing between words, that doesn't make sense in Japanese - Japanese don't insert spaces between word.

That said, I'm thinking about modifying rules, inserting rules, and changing the default on whether the rule should be applied. The problem is, I don't want to make my code base and verification rule numbering too different from the one available from this site.

Is it possible to reserve the top rule numbers in each section for international rules?

Is is possible to add language (as in Japanese) attribute on rules that should be applied?

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I am not sure I understand what you mean about reserving top rule numbers for international rules.

You might just want to modify the existing rules and send them for approval to go back into the existing source, rather than trying to create your own branch of the rules. It seems like it would be generally useful for these rules to have knowledge about double-byte period, space, etc.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I sure don't mind contributing to the project. I need to add some rules, delete (inactivate) some rules, and modify some rules to make it more usable in Japanese. I want to have a different set of default rules for Japanese developers - it's a little bit of a pain for first time user to select/deselect from all the rules. People gets annoyed when they see too many meaningless error messages. :-)

I can only say something to make is more usable in Japanese, and some double-byte punctuation marks may be different in different language. I hope we'll get some more input from different people using different languages.

BTW, it is possible to have several sets of xml rules files for different languages in the current stylecop?