Can't see StyleCop Solution Settings

Nov 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Everywhere i read it seems like there should be the ability to have parent settings at the solution level, however when i right click on a solution in Solution explorer i do not get the StyleCop option. Any idea's?

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM

So do i have to manually create a Settings.SourceAnalysis file? how? is seems silly to have to do this for the solution level but not the project level

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM
Edited Nov 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM
nitro52 wrote:
So do i have to manually create a Settings.SourceAnalysis file? how?

Let assume you have decided to have common settings per solution.
In this case you take "root" settings file (from the installation folder) and copy it to the solution folder.

Then there are two ways how you could manage (view and edit) it.
The first way is to click on "StyleCop Settings" at the project level, then go to the "Settings Files" tab and press "Edit" button right to the "Merge with settings file found in parent folders".
Another way is to associate "*.StyleCop" extension with StyleCopSettingsEditor.exe (found in installation folder). Then you will be able to edit settings file right from Windows Explorer.

Also, you can choose to have common settings not per solution, but per all your solutions. In this case it makes sense to put the only setting file into the root of your CVS.

Best regards,
Oleg Shuruev

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:01 PM

thanks, though i'm not really sure what you mean by the CVS. Is  there a reason why editing settings at these other levels is not as easy as editing at the project level?

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Oh, I'm sorry, misprint there.
What I meant was VCS (Version Control System) - any that you are using - Subversion, Git, Team Foundation Version Control, etc...

Concering your question - I really have no idea.
In a most common scenario you have only one settings file for all source code, and you don't have to change it very often - maybe that is why most people do not see a problem here.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Oleg Shuruev