Distribution of StyleCop assemblies

Apr 22, 2011 at 11:58 PM

I reference StyleCop binaries in my OSS project. Am I allowed to add stylecop binaries to sources of my OSS project and distribute them together with my binaries? I know this was not possible when MS was in charge. I've read stylecop license and found:

"(C) If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present in the software."

I understand this as I am allowed now to include StyleCop binaries. But English is not my native and it is law jargon, so I want to make sure. Do I understand this correctly?

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 3:11 PM
I think so but I'm not a lawyer either.

A.

On 22 Apr 2011, at 23:58, "Przemyslaw" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I reference StyleCop binaries in my OSS project. Am I allowed to add stylecop binaries to sources of my OSS project and distribute them together with my binaries? I know this was not possible when MS was in charge. I've read stylecop license and found:

"(C) If you distribute any portion of the software, you must retain all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices that are present in the software."

I understand this as I am allowed now to include StyleCop binaries. But English is not my native and it is law jargon, so I want to make sure. Do I understand this correctly?

Developer
May 7, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I am also not a lawyer, but I have read the license a couple times lately for another project and came to the same conclusions about Ms-PL.  These accepted answers in these links provide what I believe to be accurate descriptions:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/633132/is-ms-pl-microsoft-public-license-code-allowed-in-commercial-product

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1424307/how-does-ms-pl-license-work

May 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM

@karak - thank you. Those links helped me very much.

May 8, 2011 at 9:17 PM

FWIW, I am maintaining the StyleCop nuget package for extension projects on nuget.org for projects to reference.