CustomDictionary Relative Path gotcha

Jun 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM
So, my team is using StyleCop across a couple dozen projects in our major product package, and sharing base settings using a local nuget package. Sharing the customdictionary from our package for consistency seemed obvious, and we referenced a path of "." for the customdictionary, intending it to be picked up from beside the nuget package's settings.stylecop.

Unforunately, it seems that currently, document.SourceCode.Settings.Location is null unless the document has a settings.stylecop binding.

Is individual file settings a practice in use in the wild? Should the behavior regarding custom dictionaries include "treat . as relative to the nearest referenced settings.stylecop"? (I realize that's a moderately ambiguous requirement, and would expect nearest to need more definition...)

In our case, we updated the package installer to put the package's tools directory into the merge parent settings.stylecop, but I thought a discussion about this could be useful.
Oct 30, 2014 at 8:26 PM
Is there a solution to this? I want to use nuget for StyleCop but I want to share my customdictionary.xml with Resharper....